About This Equilibrium Recipe
Extra Time Needed: N/A
Ingredients: Your journal, music
Min Experiment Commitment: 7 days
Potential Benefits: Focus, productivity
The Equilibrium Recipe
- Looking for a way to activate your focus state?
- Before the week starts, go through your calendar and pick the optimal time for focused work
- Head to the CALENDAR section of your journal and block off that chunk of time
- Next, create a new playlist of songs that empower you
- This week, listen to this playlist whenever you work
- Every morning, go to the CALENDAR section of your journal and block off the focus time
- When it’s time to focus, hit play and begin!
- When you take breaks, pause the music
Why This Recipe works
This recipe has two different parts: 1) time blocking and 2) music pairing
First, time blocking your “focus time” into your calendar helps you mentally prepare for more focued work. In essence, you’re telling your brain that at this very specific time, you will be focused. Now we all know the power of suggestion.
It is also believed that music can create new pathways in the brain. Listening to music stimulates the formation of certain brain chemicals and can increase dopamine to help you achieve a “flow state”. By pairing your work with a specific playlist of songs, you can help train your mind to snap into flow state.